When there is no soul-searching, is the soul still there?
from The Sacredness of Questioning Everything by David Dark

We'll build new traditions in place of the old
'Cause life without revision will silence our souls
from "Snow" by Sleeping at Last

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Looking, Breathing

I've been looking in books, looking in songs, looking in friends.
All my looking, I think, has finally brought me some glimpses of my aim-- glimpses of God.
In a word, in a lyric, in a conversation and a smile, I breathe a few much-needed breaths.
But I need more than breaths.  I need an expanse of air, a lung transplant, a heart beating properly.

I need God.  I need to look for Him in Him.

Weird revelation, right?  I've been looking everywhere, and I feel like I've started to see.  So why am I scared to look for Him in Him?  What's my hang-up?

I'm so scared of over-mysticism of faith.  I feel like everything I've ever learned about reading the Bible and praying has been a little off somehow, and it's been so long since I did either regularly without doing so as a duty-driven routine.  I remember a time when both sprang from genuine delight in them both-- delight in God, and I want that back.  I want God back.  I want to find Him in Him.

Lord, teach me to pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment