When there is no soul-searching, is the soul still there?
from The Sacredness of Questioning Everything by David Dark

We'll build new traditions in place of the old
'Cause life without revision will silence our souls
from "Snow" by Sleeping at Last

Monday, September 19, 2011

Genesis = the origin, the formation

The Sunday school class Jason and I are becoming a part of at Parkway is studying the book of Genesis; from the look of it we will be studying it for a while, and I'm finding myself almost surprisingly fascinated. What is the origin of the world? Of life? Love? Beauty? Art? Humanity? I reflected earlier this summer that I simply have to believe in God, that for me there can be no other option. I cannot believe that something as complex and driven by emotion and a sense of the possibility of perfect good and beauty can exist without a source of perfection, good, emotion. 


As expanses-of-the-sky wide open as I am about the specifics of the book of Genesis, its history, and how it is to be understood and interpreted, I do not doubt that the origin is God. In six days, six seconds, or the entire Darwinian process of centuries and centuries, everything came to be, I truly believe, at the word of God. At His breath. At His command.


A study I found online has directed me to several places in Scripture aside from Genesis that refer to the formation of the world and our Creator's foreknowledge and authority in the process. I don't know why. I want to be so logical, have such proof and rationale... yet all I have to say is this feels right. Something about the story of God as our Creator (and as our Redeemer I must equally emphasize) just fills all the gaps for me somehow... I will think about how I might express that more articulately and informatively.


All I really know to say is that I want the one in whom "all things hold together." How can I not yearn for that? I have to have hope in one who made this world, one who has the power to continue to form it, to transform it into what it should have been...
If you address as Father the One who impartially judges according to each one's work, conduct yourselves in fear during the time of your stay on earth; knowing that you were not redeemed with perishable things like silver or gold from your futile way of life inherited from your forefathers, but with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ. For He was foreknown before the foundation of the world, but has appeared in these last times for the sake of you who through Him are believers in God, who raised Him from the dead and gave Him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God. 1 Peter 1:17-21
By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible. Hebrews 11:3 
He [Christ] is before all things and in Him all things hold together. Colossians 1:17
[...] that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that the are without excuse. Romans 1:19-20 

No comments:

Post a Comment