When there is no soul-searching, is the soul still there?
from The Sacredness of Questioning Everything by David Dark

We'll build new traditions in place of the old
'Cause life without revision will silence our souls
from "Snow" by Sleeping at Last

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Reignite

It puts an unwanted emphasis on how we should have lived. 
Life is a gorgeous, broken gift. 
Six billion pieces waiting to be fixed. 

The smartest thing I've ever learned is that I don't have all the answers, 
just a little light to call my own. 
Though it pales in comparison to the overarching shadows, 
a speck of light can reignite the sun and swallow darkness whole. 

(See my current favorite book of the Bible, Ecclesiastes, for commentary from a king gifted with wisdom, on the subject of the impossibility and vanity of searching for "all the answers.")

I keep finding more and more truth and beautiful freedom in that fact-- the fact that I don't have all the answers-- and not in a complacent, no longer searching way and surprisingly not in a postmodern all-the-answers-are-relative-and-what-is-truth-anyway? sort of way either... it's more like seeing that I don't have all the answers, but I do have one answer... one truth... and it is enough. It is only a little light... like the Advent candles lit one by one to represent the hope we have as we look for our God to come and dwell with us, but it is a speck of light that can reignite the sun and swallow darkness whole.


I want to start embracing the gorgeous in the gorgeous broken gift of life again. I want to remember and meditate on the Savior that made the world and life to be gorgeous, came to live in the gorgeous world that we made broken, and was broken so we could again be made gorgeous. I want to be embraced by, feel indwelling in my heart, and radiate from my very being the redemption that the coming of God to us promises. 

We're all just broken pieces. But the light is coming. The light is here. The light is warm and illuminating, and when it comes in full, we will be able to see clearly.... no longer straining to understand love like trying to gaze at an image obscured in a mirror but seeing clearly in the light of Him, in the light that fills the emptiness, dispels the dark, and makes the broken whole.

Come, Lord Jesus.


How should I live but as one who has the promise of such a light and a redeemer as Jesus?


No comments:

Post a Comment