When there is no soul-searching, is the soul still there?
from The Sacredness of Questioning Everything by David Dark

We'll build new traditions in place of the old
'Cause life without revision will silence our souls
from "Snow" by Sleeping at Last

Saturday, December 10, 2011

LIGHT

As a good ol' Lutheran girl, I should be able to write a whole post without much effort about the season of Advent and the significance of light as a symbol in this time of anticipation and hope, but I need to revisit my traditions... All I will say, is light is a beautiful symbol. A good hint to anyone needing a boost in a high school English class is "Look for light and dark imagery and symbolism!" From The Scarlet Letter to Heart of Darkness, that light and dark symbolism stuff is sure to impress on an AP exam, right?


I think it's more than just a tired literary trope, though. I think it's part of our DNA from the very dust of Eden... I mean wasn't the first recorded command of God "Let there be light"?


The theme of light in the darkness stretches throughout the Bible and is sung about beautifully in contemporary music. I want to dedicate the rest of this post to some of the lines about light currently  captivating my thoughts...


And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 
God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness.Genesis 1:3-4



The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world.
John 1:9



Therefore, if your whole body is full of light, and no part of it dark, it will be just as full of light as when a lamp shines its light on you.
Luke 11:36

For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light.
Ephesians 5:8


The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of deep darkness a light has dawned.
Isaiah 9:2


When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”
John 8:12


Oh great light of the world
Fill up my soul
I’m half a man here
So come make me whole
Oh great light of the world
Come to impart
The light of your grace
"Great Light of the World" by Bebo Norman


It's been a long long time
Since I've known the taste of freedom
And those clinging vines
That had me bound, well I don't need 'em
Cause I can see the light of a clear blue morning
I can see the light of a brand new day
I can see the light of a clear blue morning
And everythings gonna be all right
It's gonna be okay
"Light of a Clear Blue Morning" by Dolly Parton

No comments:

Post a Comment