When there is no soul-searching, is the soul still there?
from The Sacredness of Questioning Everything by David Dark

We'll build new traditions in place of the old
'Cause life without revision will silence our souls
from "Snow" by Sleeping at Last

Monday, April 12, 2010

Can't Get No Satisfaction?

In high school, all of my devout Christian friends and I went through a hardcore "Christian Music Only" phase brought about by several impassioned messages given by friends in the Christian clubs FCA and First Priority.  We believed that putting only Christian input into our minds through music would influence a more Christian output in our lives.  I don't know that it ever proved true, and I have long since abandoned the idea that truth cannot be revealed through that which is labeled "secular" as much as that which is labeled "spiritual" by the Christian subculture.   Our quest for greater spirituality, though, was genuine, and our intentions were noble; we wanted our lives to be filled less with the world and more with God.  That is still the desire of my heart (when my heart is not distracted by other, less worthy desires), and I do often find wisdom and encouragement in the "Christian input" of music produced by "Christian music labels."
The following lyric caught my attention today while listening to a little "old school" Stacie Orrico.  I definitely jammed out to this crazy, poppy stuff back in high school, and the cheesiness of the music makes me laugh a little listening to it now.  Still, the lyric is a good one and a simple declaration of the yearning I've been feeling throughout the past few years of uncovering the inherent problems with the American Dream and the ideals of capitalism and consumerism.  The lyric is a bit cliche; countless people have identified the need for "something more," and many a trite Christmas flick has commercialized the human need for more than more commercial stuff.  Still, commonplace though the "more to life" sentiment may be, how many of us actually start making real changes to live life for something more than the "temporary high," and how many of us actually manage to restrain and refocus our urging desires for "MORE" toward a more valuable MORE?  I would do well to pray a constant question each time I seek more of something-- Lord, of what do YOU desire MORE in this world, in my life?  

There's gotta be more to life...
Than chasing down every temporary high to satisfy me
Cause the more that I'm...
Tripping out thinking there must be more to life
Well it's life, but I'm sure... there's gotta be more
Than wanting more

-- "More to Life" performed by Stacie Orrico

Lord, if I must be on a constant quest for MORE, make it the MORE that You desire and not my or my country's or my imperfect human ideology's idea of the most acceptable more. 

O satisfy us in the morning with Your lovingkindness
That we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.
Psalm 90:14

You open Your hand
And satisfy the desire of every living thing.
Psalm 145:16

Why do you spend money for what is not bread,
And your wages for what does not satisfy?
Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good,
And delight yourself in abundance....
Seek the Lord while He may be found;
Call upon Him while He is near.
Let the wicked forsake his way
And the unrighteous his thoughts;
And let him return to the Lord,
And He will have compassion on him,
And to our God,
For He will abundantly pardon.
"For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Neither are your ways My ways," declares the Lord.
"For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways
And my thoughts than your thoughts."
Isaiah 55:2...6-9 

No comments:

Post a Comment