When there is no soul-searching, is the soul still there?
from The Sacredness of Questioning Everything by David Dark

We'll build new traditions in place of the old
'Cause life without revision will silence our souls
from "Snow" by Sleeping at Last

Monday, April 12, 2010

Harlots Bought as Brides

If you could love me as a wife
and for my wedding gift, your life
Should that be all I'd ever need
or is there more I'm looking for
and should I read between the lines
and look for blessings in disguise
To make me handsome, rich, and wise
Is that really what you want?
I am a whore I do confess,
But I put you on just like a wedding dress
and I run down the aisle
and I run down the aisle.
I'm a prodigal with no way home,
but I put you on just like a ring of gold,
and I run down the aisle to you.

So could you love this bastard child
Though I don't trust you to provide
With one hand in a pot of gold
and with the other in your side?
I am so easily satisfied
by the call of lovers so less wild
That I would take a little cash
Over your very flesh and blood.
Because money cannot buy
a husband's jealous eye
When you have knowingly deceived his wife.
--"Wedding Dress" by Derek Webb

When the Lord first spoke through Hosea, the Lord said to Hosea, "Go, take to yourself a wife of harlotry and have children of harlotry; for the land commits flagrant harlotry, forsaking the Lord." (Hosea 1:2)
For their mother has played the harlot;
She who conceived them has acted shamefully.
For she said, "I will go after my lovers,
Who give me my bread and my water,
My wool and my flax, my oil and my drink."
Therefore, behold, I will hedge up her way with thorns,
And I will build a wall against her so that she cannot find her paths.
She will pursue her lovers, but she will not overtake them;
And she will seek them, but will not find them.

Then she will say, "I will go back to my first husband,
For it was better for me then than now!" (Hosea 2:6-9)
"I will destroy her vines and fig tress,
Of which she said, 'These are my wages
Which my lovers have given me.'
And I will make them a forest,
And the beasts of the field will devour them.
I will punish her for the days of the Baals
When she used to offer sacrifices to them
And adorn herself with her earrings and jewelry,
And follow her lovers, so that she forgot Me," declares the Lord.
"Therefore, behold, I will allure her,
Bring her into the wilderness
And speak kindly to her.
Then I will give her her vineyards from there,
And the valley of Achor as a door of hope.
And she will sing there as in the days of her youth,
As in the day when she came up from the land of Egypt.
It will come about in that day," declares the Lord,
"That you will call me 
my husband,
And will no longer call me 
my owner.
For I will remove the names of the Baals from her mouth,
So that they will be mentioned by their names no more.
In that day I will also make a covenant for them
With the beasts of the field,
The birds of the sky
And the creeping things of the ground.
And I will abolish the bow, the sword and war from the land,
And will make them lie down in safety.
I will betroth you to Me forever;
Yes, I will betroth you to Me in righteousness and in justice,
In lovingkindness and in compassion,
And I will betroth you to Me in faithfulness.
Then you will know the Lord." (Hosea 2:12-20)

Then the Lord said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the Lord loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes.  So I bought her for myself for fifteen shekels of silver and a homer and a half of barley.  (Hosea 3:1-2)





Mercy speaks by Jesus’ blood
hear and sing, ye sons of God
justice satisfied indeed
Christ has full atonement made
Jesus’ blood speaks loud and sweet
here all Deity can meet
and, without a jarring voice
welcome Zion to rejoice
“all her debts were cast on me,
and she must and shall go free”
peace of conscience, peace with God
we obtain through Jesus’ blood
Jesus’ blood speaks solid rest
we believe, and we are blest
should the law against her roar
Jesus’ blood still speaks with power
“all her debts were cast on me,
and she must and shall go free”
--"She Must and Shall Go Free" by Derek Webb

No comments:

Post a Comment