When there is no soul-searching, is the soul still there?
from The Sacredness of Questioning Everything by David Dark

We'll build new traditions in place of the old
'Cause life without revision will silence our souls
from "Snow" by Sleeping at Last

Monday, April 12, 2010

I Repent

i repent of my pursuit of America's dream 
i repent of living like i deserve anything 
my house, my fence, my kids, and my wife 
in our suburb where we're safe and white 
i am wrong and of these things i repent 
i repent of parading my liberty 
i repent of paying for what i get for free 
the way i believe that i am living right 
by trading sins for others that are easier to hide 
i am wrong and of these things i repent 
i repent judging by a law that even i can't keep 
wearin righteousness like a disguise to see through 
the planks in my own eyes 
i repent of trading truth for false unity 
i repent of confusing peace and idolatry 
of caring more of what they think than what i know of what they need 
and domesticating You until You look just like me 
i am wrong and of these things i repent

--"I Repent" by Derek Webb

No comments:

Post a Comment