When there is no soul-searching, is the soul still there?
from The Sacredness of Questioning Everything by David Dark

We'll build new traditions in place of the old
'Cause life without revision will silence our souls
from "Snow" by Sleeping at Last

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Meditating on Psalm 51

Psalm 51 "A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came to him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba"

Be gracious to me, O God, according to Your lovingkindness;
According to the greatness of Your compassion blot out my transgressions.
Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity
And cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions, 
And my sin is ever before me.
Against You, You only, I have sinned
And done what is evil in Your sight,
So that You are justified when You speak
And blameless when You judge.
Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,
And in sin my mother conceived me.
Behold, You desire truth in the innermost being,
And in the hidden part You will make me know wisdom.
Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Make me to hear joy and gladness,
Let the bones which You have broken rejoice.
Hide Your face from my sins
And blot out all my iniquities.
Create me in a clean heart, O God,
And renew a steadfast spirit within me
Do not cast me away from Your presence
And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of Your salvation
And sustain me with a willing spirit.
Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,
And sinners will be converted to You.
Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, the God of my salvation;
Then my tongue will joyfully sing of Your righteousness.
O Lord, open my lips, that my mouth may declare Your praise.
For You do not delight in sacrifice, otherwise I would give it;
You are not pleased with burnt offering.
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
A broken and contrite heart, O God, You will not despise.
By Your favor do good to Zion;
Build the walls of Jerusalem.
Then You will delight in righteous sacrifices,
In burnt offering and whole burnt offering;
Then young bulls will be offered on Your altar.

"Restore to Me"
Mac Powell and Candi Pearson-Shelton

Hide your face from my sins 
and cover my iniquities 
Create in me a clean heart
and renew a right spirit within me 

Don't cast me away from Your presence 
or take Your spirit from me

Restore to me the joy of your salvation 
Restore to me the wonders of your love
Restore to me the joy of Your salvation
Restore to me, restore to me

Deliver me from this hour of darkness
Through the pain and brokenness
And I will sing of Your loving kindness
And of Your righteousness


Prayer of Confession Lutheran Book of Worship

Most merciful God, we confess that we are captive to sin
and cannot free ourselves.
We have sinned against You in thought, word, and deed,
by what we have done and by what we have left undone.
We have not loved You with our whole heart;
we have not loved our neighbors as ourselves.
For the sake of Your Son, Jesus Christ,
have mercy on us.
Forgive us, renew us, and lead us,
so that we may delight in Your will
and walk in Your ways,
to the glory of Your holy name.
Amen.

from the LBW liturgy of my childhood/Psalm 51

Create in me a clean heart, O God,
and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from Your presence
and take not Your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of Your salvation
and uphold me with a willing spirit.

"God Be Merciful to Me (Psalm 51)"
Jars of Clay

God be merciful to me on Thy grace, I rest my plea
Plenteous in compassion Thou
Blot out my transgressions now

Wash me, make me pure within
Cleanse, oh, cleanse me from my sin

My transgressions I confess
Grief and guilt my soul oppress
I have sinned against Thy grace
And provoked Thee to Thy face

I confess Thy judgment just
Speechless, I, Thy mercy trust

I am evil born in sin
Thou desirest truth within
Thou alone my Savior art
Teach Thy wisdom to my heart

Make me pure, Thy grace bestow
Wash me whiter than the snow

Gracious God, my heart renew
Make my spirit right and true

Thy salvation's joy impart
Steadfast make my willing heart

Steadfast make my willing heart

Broken, humbled to the dust
By Thy wrath and judgment just
Let my contrite heart rejoice
And in gladness hear Thy voice


From my sins, oh, hide Thy face
Blot them out in boundless grace


1 comment:

  1. I wish I could reblog this. If only you had a Tumblr. :)
    I carry a copy of Psalm 51 in my wallet.

    ReplyDelete