When there is no soul-searching, is the soul still there?
from The Sacredness of Questioning Everything by David Dark

We'll build new traditions in place of the old
'Cause life without revision will silence our souls
from "Snow" by Sleeping at Last

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Racing and Striving... Why?

Unless the LORD builds the house, 
   the builders labor in vain. 
Unless the LORD watches over the city, 
   the guards stand watch in vain. 
In vain you rise early 
   and stay up late, 
toiling for food to eat— 
   for he grants sleep to those he loves.


--Psalm 127:1-2


Rushing and racing, and running in circles,
Moving so fast, I'm forgetting my purpose...
Sometimes I fear that I might disappear
In the blur of fast-forward, I falter again
Forgetting to breathe, I need to sleep, I'm getting nowhere...

--Emmy Rossom "Slow Me Down"




Cease striving, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among nations, I will be exalted in the earth.


--Psalm 46:10

1 comment:

  1. So much to think about. I'm still processing your words. As always, I have a lot of different thoughts. And as always, thank you for your reflection. It requires me to open my eyes when I don't even know I have them closed. I love this scripture! I love that it says "CEASE STRIVING and know that I am God!" I have always heard it translated "be still", and I never gave it much thought other than maybe that means to take time out to pray and be quiet for God. I'm so blind.

    ReplyDelete