When there is no soul-searching, is the soul still there?
from The Sacredness of Questioning Everything by David Dark

We'll build new traditions in place of the old
'Cause life without revision will silence our souls
from "Snow" by Sleeping at Last

Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Real Me?

"Who am I?" I challenged my students to ask themselves earlier this year. 


Well, who am I?


Where do I put my identity?


My husband fears it is too wrapped up in him and that's why I'm so broken while he's gone... I'm sure there's a lot of truth to that... and a lot of that comes from my lifelong identity issue...


I've always put too much emphasis on being good, whatever might be my (or everyone else's) definition of good at the time. 


I've gone through so many phases of identity-- the dork, the dreamer, the smart kid, the writer, the valedictorian, the small town princess,  the semi-Vandy Vandy girl, the Nashville suburb plebeian,the single girl, the girlfriend, the fiance, the wife, the wife with a husband on the road, the student, the student, the student teacher, the teacher... the teacher... the teacher?


Doesn't one have to know to teach?


Degree? Check. Highly qualified? Check. Ideals and hopes? Check.


Actual know-how... well I don't even know exactly what I'm supposed to know how to do.


Who am I?


And who should I be?

No comments:

Post a Comment