When there is no soul-searching, is the soul still there?
from The Sacredness of Questioning Everything by David Dark

We'll build new traditions in place of the old
'Cause life without revision will silence our souls
from "Snow" by Sleeping at Last

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Facebook: A Confession and Reflection

Confession: I think I have a problem with Facebook.

It is always a part of my day, while many things infinitely more important (the Bible, prayers, phone calls home, just to name a few) don't always make the cut in my "busy life."  I know that I spend too much time on it. I know that I check the app on my phone too compulsively, not because there's anything I care to see but because those red update numbers are there (or even aren't) and because it's just what I do if there's an empty moment, no matter how short. I know that I use it to procrastinate, getting lost on it when I'm tired because it's easier to keep scrolling and clicking than to get off the couch or do whatever work I'm putting off. I also know that I am too apt to get up in arms about something I see posted, too likely to post something myself that might get others up in arms,  too tempted to make comments when I should probably stay social-network-silent, too prone to spend too much time thinking about whatever article or comment or conversation that's caught my attention, too easily distracted by thoughts about what I've contributed, worrying about others'  reactions– possible disagreements, misunderstandings, whatever.

I've gotten better about not jumping into Facebook debates too rashly, though I still have my share of contentious conversations  when I should probably just limit my Facebook interactions to things like "How fun!" and "What a cute baby!" and just let it be what it's supposed to be– social.

But here's where Facebook and my relationship with it lead to a reflection of who I am– I'm not very good at anything purely social, not good at relationships that stay at the "What a cute baby!" level (though I am all about my friends' cute babies). There's only so long I can have a relationship that doesn't go further. I am really more into relationships and conversations that go a bit deeper, at least some/most of the time. 

Don't get me wrong– I'm plenty superficial on Facebook. I love Facebook as an outlet for whatever obsession I feel compelled to share at the time– Dolly Parton movies, new John Mayer albums, articles about Taylor Swift, updates from my husband's music page, books I'm reading, songs I can't quit playing on repeat, pictures of my husband and me or my sisters and me. And I love seeing the same kinds of posts from my friends. They represent the first basic exchange of information in relationships– interests, hobbies, things you love, what's going on in your life. I can use Facebook for that purpose ad nauseam. (I mean, if you don't want to know how many weeks, days, and hours until the new John Mayer album or read lyrics from the new album for a week after it comes out, you need to hide me from your newsfeed. I know I'm obnoxious. Sorry, but I've gotta let it out somehow, or I would explode. It's a Neas family characteristic to be obsessive and to insist on sharing the ecstasy of the obsession, even with people who neither get it nor care, and it's not a gene I want to fight.) 

I love this aspect of relationship, and I love when Facebook makes it possible to know this first layer of people better... through photos of vacations and babies, lyrics and quotations in statuses, shared articles and videos, all that typical newsfeed stuff. 

But I love the next layer of relationship even more– the part where you share beyond your interests and characteristics into your thoughts, your beliefs, your opinions– what you think of life and the world and why. These are the conversations I like to have with best friends and with new friends, and so I do tend to try to push Facebook to that level... and maybe that's just not a good idea. Thoughts and beliefs and opinions turn too much into politics, and maybe Facebook isn't the place– too many people who could be hurt or offended, too many people who could misunderstand, too many people involved. And, if nothing else, maybe it's just not worth the time it takes to engage in these kinds of conversations over a social network.

It's definitely not worth the time I get sucked in reading things that don't contribute to relationships at all, at any level.  

I try to focus my newsfeed and my attention to my closest friends. I try (largely unsuccessfully) to resist the urge to follow ads to online shopping websites or to click on viral videos it doesn't really matter if I ever see or not. I follow NPR and TIME, trying to make my incessant newsfeed scrolling worth something a little more, but I find I still tend to click on dumb popular culture articles more than anything newsworthy or important, even from these sources. 

There is always the inevitable stupor and waste of time.

So maybe I should say goodbye to Facebook, sign off, or at least limit myself, cut my time on it down to next to nothing, take that time for face-to-face relationships, for phone calls, for reading and for prayer. 

Hmmm... do I think so? Am I willing? I'm still working it out, but perhaps I will disappear soon. It might at least be worth the experiment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment